1911Forum

1911Forum (http://forums.1911forum.com/index.php)
-   Tactics & Personal Defense (http://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Full-size 1911 Carry (http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=358022)

DocJ 03-13-2012 11:45 AM

Full-size 1911 Carry

I currently carry a full size 1911 in the 3:30 position, using a CrossBreed SuperTuck Deluxe. However, I can't sit on the couch or in the truck with it in this position. Basically, if I sit, I'm restricted to hard surfaces as the length of the barrel makes softer surfaces uncomfortable. I'm looking to get a 1911 custom made, and have given thought to getting a shorter barrel, about 4.25". I hate to give up a full-size, but would this help?

Also, any other carry suggestions I should try? So far, this has been very comfortable, but mainly for standing and walking. I don't like having to reholster when I drive anywhere. Or, is that just the nature of it?

chrysanthemum 03-13-2012 12:04 PM

As much as I prefer 5" 1911s (and that's what I carry in cold weather), I also find a 5" a bit too large, for me, for most carry circumstances.

Not willing to sacrifice much in reliability/performance, and willing to pay for a premium compact 1911, I chose Wilson Combat's compact Tactical Supergrade. I also have Wilson's Carry Comp, which is slightly longer, about the same as a Commander. Then I use Barnes solid-copper bullets (also from Wilson, and designed specifically for compacts).

A 4" definitely helps with respect to the circumstances you've described. Of course, there's also the choice on the grip length (full length grip or compact). The compact sized grips works fine for me, so this helps even more with concealability and minimum bulk.

This (above) is surely not a low-cost solution. But as others have said countless times before, how much importance/value should we place on protecting our life.

6bquick 03-13-2012 12:18 PM

I wore a govt model in a supertuck very successfully for about 6 months. i wore it farther back tho, between 4 and 5 o'clock. it was very comfortable when sitting, although i discovered you can't slouch much, it helps if you sit up straight-ish. I no longer carry in a supertuck but not because it was uncomfortable. the exposed muzzle out the bottom of the holster wore holes thru 2 pairs of jeans, so be careful. I have replaced it with a bullard dual carry. It's leather and it covers the entire muzzle, so far, no holy pants. just some things to think about.

DocJ 03-13-2012 12:31 PM

As I said, I'm looking into having one custom built. However, I'm mainly looking at Nighthawk, Volkmann and CT Brian. Mainly, I want something that is reliable and functions through anything. I am not easy on guns. If it's raining, it's coming with me. I also go to the range on rainy days. I don't need a gun that wants to take vacation days. This again goes into the "get what you pay for" and "you can't place a value on protecting your life".

That is my big concern with the SuperTuck. I'm afraid of putting holes in my jeans. As if they don't have enough holes already. lol. I'll probably just deal with the SuperTuck for a few more months and then look into other holster choices. Next winter, I think I'll look into a paddle holster. They look to be extremely comfortable. With the SuperTuck, though, was there a certain cant you put it at? I tried moving it further back, like you stated, but it wouldn't allow me to bend! When I say 3:30, the rear sight of the gun lines up right behind the side seam of my jeans. And, I've left the SuperTuck at it's stock setting.

Mr. T 03-13-2012 12:45 PM

You don't have to have a custom gun to make it run in the rain or for hard use. The production models will do those things easily. I have carried a 5,4, and 3 inch 1911 at different times. The holster choice really makes the difference in comfort and freedom of movement. I prefer smaller guns for concealed carry, right now it's either an M&P compact, a solo carry, or a 3 inch 1911. If you want a custom just to have a custom I can't say I blame you, I have a couple of high end custom guns too.

6bquick 03-13-2012 12:52 PM

I thought about a commander, but there is just something about a steel gov't model that makes me feel warm and fuzzy, so i worked around it.

My supertuck was at stock 'cant' settings, however i raised the clips up one hole, lowering the gun in my waistband. the screws were thru the 2nd hole from the top both in front and in back.
To give you an idea of where i wore it, the holes in my jeans (from the muzzle) both appeared right above the left side seam of my right rear pocket. (i hope that makes sense lol). I could always bend over, (the grip of the gun would print if i bent over strictly at the waist without bending my legs) however it was never uncomfortable to do so, just revealing.

i hope this helps, and i wish you luck in your pursuit of holster perfection!

Neumann 03-13-2012 12:56 PM

A 4.25" barrel length makes a lot of difference in comfort when sitting compared to a 5" 1911. In a VM2, the end of the barrel is just below my belt line, about to the top of my hip pocket, and doesn't hit the bottom of a wooden chair when I sit. With an aluminum frame (SW1911PD), it weighs just 30 oz, another plus when carrying. I keep the top of the slide just behind my hip bone, which makes it a little south of 3:30, closer to 4:00.

I can drive all day with it in that position, but it's hard to reach. If I wear a jacket, I keep it unzipped and on top of the seat belt.

bvkdphillips 03-13-2012 01:04 PM

I found varying my carry holsters gives me relief from the same spot on my body getting constantly rubbed or poked. I carry a MS VMII most of the time, but rotate in a Galco Summer Comfort. I also rotate my carry pistols. I prefer carrying a commander over my 5" and also rotate in my 3" Colt Defender. Besides, you gotta have some reason to explain to your wife why you need so many holsters and guns.

Bob

Combat_Vet 03-13-2012 01:09 PM

I can carry reasonably comfortable a Government sized 1911 IWB under all circumstances using a Milt Sparks VM2. I much prefer the Summer Special as it rides a tad higher.

onegun 03-13-2012 01:28 PM

I also prefer the Summer Special for both my 5" and my VBob.

I12BFree 03-13-2012 01:48 PM

When I carried a 5", I used a Milt Sparks CC-AT holster. I don't like IWB holsters; especially the Super Tuck. BTDT.

Being a Sparks fan, for IWB I'd get a Versa Max II holster. At least the thing covers the whole pistol below the belt line. I had one for a different pistol and liked it until I got fed up with the thing being inside my pants.

I carry a Volkmann Combatant Carry these days, so I can't fault you for wanting a high zoot pistol and for considering a Commander-sized package.

But, you ain't got a hair on your backside if you don't have a big ol' box-o'-holsters like a real man! :biglaugh: If I had the cash, I wouldn't have just a box of holsters, I'd have a room full because I'd try them all. I love them. Since I'm forced to be more frugal, I only use two different OWB holsters most often depending on the situation.

Ranger 230 03-13-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onegun (Post 3755413)
I also prefer the Summer Special for both my 5" and my VBob.

I do as well. For my 4" and 5" 1911's the Summer Special is my go to!

bvkdphillips 03-13-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I12BFree (Post 3755439)

But, you ain't got a hair on your backside if you don't have a big ol' box-o'-holsters like a real man! :biglaugh:

Just clean out one of your dresser drawers for your holsters. You should have seen the look on my wifes face when I asked her if she would let me have one of hers! I won't even tell you where she suggested I put them.:eek:

Bob

Lt.Smoke 03-13-2012 03:43 PM

Knock on wood i haven't had any issues carrying my 5" 1911 in the Galco KingTuk... No issues with printing of stabbing me in the back... :)

samvswild 03-13-2012 04:40 PM

How would one go about ordering a summer special holster

Dogger 03-13-2012 04:40 PM

If you get in and out of a car a lot, and get up and down from a chair a lot, a 5 inch gun carried on the hip becomes problematic REAL SOON. An IWB can work quite well if you are slim and trim, and size your pants accordingly, and choose the right holster... unfortunately, i have leaned too hard on the nachos, and need to drop a few pounds... OWB becomes much more doable with the right holster, and guns at 4.25" barrel or less make it so very much easier. Realizing this, and being only interested in carry guns (dedicated range guns/safe queens need not apply) I have eventually sold all my 5" guns (yes, even an Ed Brown) and gone to Colt Commanders/CCO. My recent acquisition of a Walther PPS has me questioning the all steel Cdr for CCW, and is even wrestling the CCOs for primary carry... CCW is really a system -- and the system includes you, the holster, the gun, the whole package. it all has to work together, based on what you have to do on a daily basis...

onegun 03-13-2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samvswild (Post 3755722)
How would one go about ordering a summer special holster

Quick and easy.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=9...MMER-SPECIAL-2

rrobertson 03-13-2012 05:58 PM

Look into a Bobtailed Commander version as well for a firearm. Its not for everyone but it works for alot of people.

bullet45acp 03-13-2012 06:08 PM

Someone really needs to build a holster library so you can check one out, try it for 3 weeks, then bring it back if you hate it, go buy one if you love it...

I hate to think of the $$'s I wasted trying different holsters, only to discover they printed badly, or they hurt, or they just plain didn't work...

I used to carry a Colt Combat Commander in a Bianchi 3S, as I recall that holster worked pretty well for a IWB holster. It has a nice system to adjust the cant of the pistol to your liking. How well one would work for you in a full size 1911 is unknown until you try one. They can be found new for under $50, which is another nice thing.

JAG

nicktheww2fanatic 03-13-2012 06:13 PM

There are 2 things I don't like about my Supertuck. One, they cut the Combat Cut just a hair too small, and my grip safety gets caught on it & 2 It wears holes in my pants. Incredibly comfortable though

Bill Mannatt 03-13-2012 06:45 PM

Don't know why you would get holes in your pants with a Supertuck.But a full size 1911 is the last gun I reach for,nothing to justify it over my 4 inch or my officer frame.With OWB,and I prefer that,a gov't frame puts the muzzle below the waist of a motor jacket.Not buying that.An officer frame,carried IWB,can be easily concealed under a tucked t-shirt for hot weather riding.

aimhard 03-13-2012 06:48 PM

I prefer aSparks VM-2 for a 5" gun

Corrigun 03-13-2012 07:51 PM

I have the same gun and holster and I tried and liked 4 or 5 o-clock but it's not practical.

Try to get a little more cant out of it. I found at about 3 to 4 o-clock if it's canted forward enough I can drive, sit or whatever fairly comfortably. My....um..love handle sort of flops over the grip safety when seated and the barrel kind of points behind me but it still higher than my butt. I'm not big (5-7 165) but there is a little roll there and it is not uncomfortable. It feels almost the same w/o the gun (just the holster). That's when I knew I was close to good. A long undershirt also helps keep the bottom of the holster from chaffing my leg/hip.

Way out back is much better but prints like a mutha at the slightest bend at the waist which just looks unnatural and makes it hard to draw if/when you ever needed to. I figured if I am going to wear it it may as well be right on my hip and the rest just sort of fell in place.

bmckeehan 03-13-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lt.Smoke (Post 3755614)
Knock on wood i haven't had any issues carrying my 5" 1911 in the Galco KingTuk... No issues with printing of stabbing me in the back... :)

What position do you carry? At the website they don't have an option for a rock island 1911...does it matter what brand I use?

bvkdphillips 03-13-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmckeehan (Post 3756299)
What position do you carry? At the website they don't have an option for a rock island 1911...does it matter what brand I use?

Your RIA will fit the same as any 1911, it doesn't matter.

Bob