1911Forum

1911Forum (http://forums.1911forum.com/index.php)
-   2A Legal & Political News ONLY (http://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Ohio school shooting 2/27 (http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=355341)

WNC-shooter 02-27-2012 10:07 AM

Ohio school shooting 2/27

Yet another. H.S. kid gets hold of a gun, five kids shot.

We as a species have a long way to go.

Prayers to the victims.

M4finny 02-27-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WNC-shooter (Post 3722502)
Yet another. H.S. kid gets hold of a gun, five kids shot.

We as a species have a long way to go.

Prayers to the victims.

Where is the link to this story?

Thanks,

Fin

Rod38um 02-27-2012 10:53 AM

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/27...orts-shooting/

M4finny 02-27-2012 10:57 AM

Thank you.

Fin

johnbrowning1911 02-27-2012 12:29 PM

Now reporting one student fatality in this shooting. (BBC News)

Quack 02-27-2012 01:12 PM

My niece goes to school there, but she skipped school today.

I've heard that one of the bystander that he surrendered to is a CHL permit holder.

garcia 02-27-2012 01:13 PM

Hate to be cynical, but is anyone surprise this happened in a gun free zone?

Quack 02-27-2012 01:19 PM

This was posted on the Ohioans For Concealed Carry forum

http://www.thelookingspoon.com/image...un_control.jpg

mjl99 02-27-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quack (Post 3722892)
This was posted on the Ohioans For Concealed Carry forum

http://www.thelookingspoon.com/image...un_control.jpg

Out of curiosity, if any of you chl holders here had been present during the shooting, would you be able to drawn and pull the trigger if you'd known it was a juvenile student that was on the other end? I'm not taking heat of the moment, life depends on it action, but you could tell it was definitely a student/juvenile. Would that make a difference for any of you?

bs1911 02-27-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quack (Post 3722880)

I've heard that one of the bystander that he surrendered to is a CHL permit holder.

I am anxious to see if the facts pan out on this point AND if so will the media cover it in a positive manner.

master gunner 02-27-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjl99 (Post 3722931)
Out of curiosity, if any of you chl holders here had been present during the shooting, would you be able to drawn and pull the trigger if you'd known it was a juvenile student that was on the other end? I'm not taking heat of the moment, life depends on it action, but you could tell it was definitely a student/juvenile. Would that make a difference for any of you?

Yes; no.

A pos kid will kill you just as dead, just as fast as an adult pos.

CRUE CAB 02-27-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Yep, I'd drop him like fourth period math.
Training just takes over at that point.

Lt.Smoke 02-27-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Honestly it wouldn't phase me either way... Through all the training i have undergone and experiences that i have had along the way... Kids/Juveniles are 10x more dangerous than adults because they are an easier manipulated individual...

** Let me rephrase that a little bit... I would not have to stop and think about using necessary force just because its a young kid...Adult... Fact of the matter is if a weapon is present than they are a threat....

USinfantry00 02-27-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Would I be able to take the life of a juvenile? If he presents himself as a threat TO THE POINT of currently being an active shooter then yes. If a juvenile pulled a gun on me and no one else was at threat I would try to take a different route instead of taking his/her life but if innocent people are being killed because of his actions I'll be damned if I'm going to let anyone else die. I'm not saying it would be easy but it would be easier to take his life than to go the rest of my life knowing that others would be alive had I responded with appropriate force.

NonHyphenAmerican 02-27-2012 05:02 PM

I've always wondered what the armed security guards on duty at Columbine High School decided?

They obviously didn't engage the threat.

How many died because they didn't?

I don't know the answers, nor for that matter am I sure I know exactly what the questions were that day.

However, it did hammer in home something an old F-100,F-105,F-4 Phantom pilot once told me on a Boy Scout Camp-Out in the PI.

"Always Honor The Threat".

Doesn't matter what the Threat is, "Always Honor The Threat".

In the instance today, while he was actively shooting students, if I'd been legally allowed to carry on campus, although that's obviously a moot point as only the criminal in this case was carrying, I'd "Honor The Threat" to the point he was no longer a threat.

It is, and has to be, just that simple.

DirtD4er 02-27-2012 05:05 PM

Guy I sit next to at work's son goes there. The guy is a fellow gun nut, we talk about it all the time. Met his son at a gun show a couple months ago.

Swat supposedly took an hour and a half to arrive on scene.

pbshooter1217 02-27-2012 05:32 PM

I read an article about it on yahoo. From what I got out of it, the gunman went for one table of kids and just them. After he shot them he left and surrendered.

I'm not condoning his actions, but I bet there's two sides of this story.

I highly suspect these kids made fun of him or bullied him, and he dealt with them the only way he knew how. He still should be locked up, but it shouldn't of came to this.

Again, I'm not condoning his actions.

Paulee 02-27-2012 05:38 PM

It would be tough for me, not because it's a kid, but because in that situation, chances are really good that I know them.

NonHyphenAmerican 02-27-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbshooter1217 (Post 3723438)
I read an article about it on yahoo. From what I got out of it, the gunman went for one table of kids and just them. After he shot them he left and surrendered.

I highly suspect these kids made fun of him or bullied him, and he dealt with them the only way he knew how. He still should be locked up, but it shouldn't of came to this.

There's never been a fence but what there was two sides to it.

This kid is wrong though, simply because he used deadly force where there was no need for it.

Doesn't matter if they made fun of him, or bullied him.

His use of deadly force was wrong.

His taking of human lives who presented no deadly threat to him was wrong.

Quack 02-27-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbshooter1217 (Post 3723438)

The reasons why I believe he ran.
1. It's reported that a revolver and knife were recovered, so he went through his 6 shots.
2. The football coach that was watching over study hall chased after him.

There are 2 stories going around on why the shooting happened:
1. one of the guys was dating his ex-girlfriend
2. a drug deal that went bad.

everything will be known in the next few days.

Cumminsman76 02-27-2012 05:52 PM

There were reports he intended to bring a gun to school that were ignored.

chrysanthemum 02-27-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulee (Post 3723452)
It would be tough for me, not because it's a kid, but because in that situation, chances are really good that I know them.

It would be tough. But I think the even more difficult circumstance would be the crowded area with many others around (which is what I'm imagining here, but do not know the specific details).

If a CHL holder cannot get a clear, isolated target, with no one behind the target, (which might have been the case here) it is very tough.

rbh350 02-27-2012 06:04 PM

I live in a community near Chardon. The local TV news media has been very neutral on the questions surrounding why a juvenile had access to a firearm(s). I did hear some anti gun crap on a local radio station. The talking head was "shocked" that someone would teach a juvenile to use firearms. I had enough and changed the station. The kid fled the building after the shooting in the cafeteria and surrendered to an armed citizen a distance from the school.

mjl99 02-27-2012 06:09 PM

I only asked my question to people because i was wondering if the target being a juvenile would have made any difference. Not trying to put any more to the shooting scenario that that, just that its you and the kid, no other factors. Interesting responses tho, i honestly have no idea how I'd react. I think training would take over but would it be harder for you to deal with after the fact knowing you shot a kid. Even if it was a pos kid with a gun?

I just don't relish the thought of having to listen to the liberal antis at work tomorrow use this as another case study on why guns should be banned...

AndyC 02-27-2012 06:52 PM

Quote:

you could tell it was definitely a student/juvenile. Would that make a difference for any of you?

No.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjl99 (Post 3723523)
would it be harder for you to deal with after the fact knowing you shot a kid. Even if it was a pos kid with a gun?

No.