1911Forum

1911Forum (http://forums.1911forum.com/index.php)
-   Other 1911's (http://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Detonics (http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=159547)

Jaybo 12-06-2006 04:50 PM

Detonics

A bit rich for my blood, but has anyone bought one of the new ones?

Does Detonics offer gunsmithing? I'm thinking of getting one of their winged thumb safeties, but they say it needs gunsmith installation...

RickB 12-06-2006 06:52 PM

I test-fired an early Combat Master, over a year ago, and it seemed to be a pretty well-made piece. I borrowed the gun from a "gunwriter" who had it for testing, and I don't really know if it was pre-production, or taken off the production line, or what. I have an original Seattle Combat Master, circa 1979, for which I paid less than $550; makes $1000 for a new one appear a bit steep. I very much appreciate the new company offering springs, mags, and other spare parts that fit the old guns, so I wish them great success.
Detonics-USA will do warranty work and repairs on the new guns, but I don't know if they do custom work. I heard they are going to start accepting the old Seattle/Bellevue/Phoenix guns for service, and maybe when they get that up and running they will have the capacity to do custom work. Have you tried calling or emailing them?

Jaybo 12-06-2006 07:36 PM

Not yet, but I'll see what they have to say tomorrow when they're back open for business.

rustywood 12-07-2006 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaybo
A bit rich for my blood, but has anyone bought one of the new ones?

Does Detonics offer gunsmithing? I'm thinking of getting one of their winged thumb safeties, but they say it needs gunsmith installation...

i hear ya, but when you consider that a simular gun cost about 700-900,and they are not made with all steel parts like this one .im looking at a combat master,and from what i understand detonics was the start of the sub-compacts

Jaybo 12-07-2006 08:28 AM

No argument on the quality, it's just tough to come up with the scratch. Glad they're back, though.

grizz5675 12-07-2006 11:58 AM

Detonics

Does anyone know where detonics are manufactured??

Jaybo 12-07-2006 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grizz5675
Does anyone know where detonics are manufactured??

Company contact info says Georgia. Mine is an older one, from Seattle.

rustywood 12-07-2006 01:16 PM

im drooling! combat master!

i am sooo close to buying one of these,i wish we get a report from someone who owns one.

MSgt Dotson 12-07-2006 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickB
I have an original Seattle Combat Master, circa 1979, for which I paid less than $550; makes $1000 for a new one appear a bit steep.

I too miss the days of $495 Colt Gold Cups, etc., but, adjusted for inflation, $1000 in 2006 is worth no more than $550 was in 1979 anyway, compliments of the 'Federal' Reserve's printing presses, which is not truy "Federal", despite it's name!!

/Inflation Rant mode off!

Jaybo 12-07-2006 03:58 PM

Here's the response to my email.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detonics
Jay,

Your CombatMaster was most likely shipped in 1980. New parts will interchange, but may require some fitting by a competent gunsmith. The extended thumb safety usually needs to have the top of the left grip panel trimmed down a bit for clearance. Ambi thumb safeties need the right grip panel trimmed in a similar way, and some very careful removal of some material to clear the holding piece/leg.

We have been accepting older guns for servicing for a few months now. We do not provide custom work, or cosmetic restorations to "as new" condition, but can usually fix them if they are malfunctioning. (Assuming that the piece hasn't been butchered beyond salvageability by any "less-than-competent" gunsmiths). There is currently a backlog, and we would likely not be able to get to any additional incoming guns until Februrary, or maybe later.

Since Detonics USA is a completely new and separate company from the previous "Detonics" incarnations, we cannot provide warranty service for CombatMasters we didn't make. As such, we have to charge for labor and parts when we fix the older guns.

Hope this helps,
Detonics USA

I think I'll wind up getting the work done for a new safety locally, or do it myself. We'll see how things look when I get the part.

RickB 12-07-2006 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSgt Dotson
I too miss the days of $495 Colt Gold Cups, etc., but, adjusted for inflation, $1000 in 2006 is worth no more than $550 was in 1979 anyway, compliments of the 'Federal' Reserve's printing presses, which is not truy "Federal", despite it's name!!

/Inflation Rant mode off!

I paid $550 for it, five years ago. They can still be had, the Seattle guns, in excellent condition, in the $500-$700 range, depending on the model.
I subscribed to the "big" gunrags when I was a kid, and I clipped and saved every article on the Combat Master, knowing I'd never be able to come up with the $400 that they cost (at a time when the Colt Gold Cup, an expensive gun, cost something like $225). So, when I saw not one, but two, unfired examples in a local gunshop, priced, in real terms, at about half of what they had been when new, I just had to buy one. When they are runing right, they are great guns. I have mine with me every day, and even shot an entire season of IDPA matches with it. Use good mags, keep the springs fresh, and they're good to go.

rustywood 12-07-2006 04:36 PM

[QUOTE=RickB]I paid $550 for it, five years ago. They can still be had, the Seattle guns, in excellent condition, in the $500-$700 range, depending on the model.
I subscribed to the "big" gunrags when I was a kid, and I clipped and saved every article on the Combat Master, knowing I'd never be able to come up with the $400 that they cost (at a time when the Colt Gold Cup, an expensive gun, cost something like $225). So, when I saw not one, but two, unfired examples in a local gunshop, priced, in real terms, at about half of what they had been when new, I just had to buy one. When they are runing right, they are great guns. I have mine with me every day, and even shot an entire season of IDPA matches with it. Use good mags, keep the springs fresh, and they're good to go.[/QUOTE

rick you know who,s mags there using now?

RickB 12-07-2006 05:16 PM

Detonics-USA's mags are made for them by Metalform. Metalform has been making mags for the Combat Master for years, and I use one, but the ones supplied with the new Combat Masters have the full magazine indicator built in, like the original Detonics mags, while the ones stamped with Metalform's logo do not.

molonlabe28 12-07-2006 05:55 PM

I think that the 9-11-01 Model is pretty nice, but I would want to remove the existing rear sight and replace it with a Heinie or a YoB0.

I don't know whether the rear sight cut would permit such a substitution.

I was quite disappointed that the ScoreMaster's idea of an adjustable rear sight is a MMC combat sight, which looks cheesy, instead of Bomars.

Maybe Bomars could be installed by cutting over the existing rear sight cut and sinking them into the rear of the slide, but I wouldn't want to gamble $1,000 on the matter.

I like the extended barrel, but the chopped off rear of the slide looks kind of silly to me.

Jaybo 12-07-2006 09:52 PM

I'm digging the Street Master, but that price tag would about cover the transmission rebuild my pickup needs...

Deeton 12-08-2006 12:54 PM

About magazines, it's my understanding that the Detonics USA mags are stamped by Metalform alright, but now days it's done on tooling that Detonics paid for in order to get the feed lips, follower, etc, just the way they wanted them. Older Metalform made mags, such as those available from Brownells, were made for "New Detonics" of Phoenix, AZ, back in the early nineties and are not as reliable (according to what I've heard). Apparently New Detonics did away with the length of the follower tail, and lost some stability. Also, the feed lips are not the same as what Detonics USA specified. I'm using the latest mags and I think they're better than the mags I have from the Seattle company. (If the floorplate says, "Detonics 45 ACP", they were made by a sheet metal plant near Seattle).

About ScoreMaster rear sights. I've heard that the Seattle company switched from BoMar's on their early ScoreMasters to Millett's due to breakages. Apparently Millett was willing to alter their tooling to "beef up" the sights for Detonics. Detonics USA chose MMC due to the strength of the housing around the adjustable mechanism. They didn't want any more breakages. Also, the MMC is way more snag free than the BoMar, and includes tritium inserts.

However, it's also my understanding that Detonics USA has some prototype ScoreMasters with BoMar's and will likely make some that way for those in the market who aren't concerned with strength or night sights, but want that "target black" sight appearance.

I'm told that the 9-11-01 rear sight is Gov't spec in the dovetail, and the front sight dovetail is Heinie spec. So those of you with a Brownells catalog can "mix or match" to your heart's content!

Hope this helps!

rustywood 12-08-2006 04:43 PM

got this email from detonics.

ONLY ONE MAGIZINE COMES WITH THE GUN.WE MAKE THE MAGIZINE,S METALFORM MAKES A SPECIAL BODY AND FOLLOWER TO OUR SPEC,S OUR SPECIAL STAINLESS STEEL SPRINGS COME FROM ANOTHER SOURCE.WE ASSEMBLE THE MAGIZINES HERE AND TEST THEM FOR REALIBILATY.

Taffnevy 12-08-2006 09:51 PM

They seem like a good deal to me, even a bargain in the $1000 range.

I think what people need to realise is that it's a totally different company, just with the same name and similar designs.

Based on the specs and design, I'm thinking about picking up the 9-11-01 model.

Microbomb 12-10-2006 12:10 PM

The new commander sized Service Master has caught my attention. I saw the Combat Master and held it at a local shop. Seemed like a nice pistol, but I didn't like that it was missing the functional grip safety.

Jaybo 12-10-2006 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Microbomb
The new commander sized Service Master has caught my attention. I saw the Combat Master and held it at a local shop. Seemed like a nice pistol, but I didn't like that it was missing the functional grip safety.

IIRC, John Browning didn't want the grip safety on the 1911, but the Army did, so that's how it was.

Microbomb 12-10-2006 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaybo
IIRC, John Browning didn't want the grip safety on the 1911, but the Army did, so that's how it was.

I thought it was the thumb safety that Browning didn't want or think the 1911 needed? :confused:

Jaybo 12-10-2006 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Microbomb
I thought it was the thumb safety that Browning didn't want or think the 1911 needed? :confused:

I don't believe that was it, but I'm basing that on my own memory (after a long night shift) and the fact that his later design of the Hi-Power has a thumb safety, but not a grip safety...

rustywood 12-10-2006 03:16 PM

grip safties are for wussies anyway.i hate em:barf:

HiVelSword 12-10-2006 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustywood
grip safties are for wussies anyway.i hate em:barf:

+1!!!

I long for the day that they stop making 1911's with grip safeties. Or at least offer it as an option.

I mean, all of them are there "just because that's how it's always been".

Say somehow your thumb safety got bumped off while in your holster. How the heck is it going to fire while it's in there? I'm sure there are people that will disagree simply because they are adverse to change but in reality, it's fairly useless. As someone posted, the BHP doesn't have it. Oh no! What an unsafe pistol that is!!!!

Gimme a break.

I'm glad the CombatMaster never had it. Perhaps Detonics might give their other models a shot?

Then again, you can always pin them! ;)

rustywood 12-10-2006 07:51 PM

this is what happens when you let lawyers build guns!