1911Forum banner

question about kimber barrels

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Premek 
#1 ·
Does Kimber use the same barrels in all of their 5inch .45 1911's such as the same barrel for the basic custom 2 and the Eclipse Target 2 etc? Or do they use a barrel for the basic guns and once out of the basics such as the GM's, Eclipses, Tacticals, etc.?

#2 ·
Deadmeat

Kimber uses the same parts for all of their pistols. So as far a barrel is concerned they are all the same for each length. If there is any differences between them it will be in the material, stainless steel vs. non-stainless (aka carbon steel), otherwise they are identical. So look at the specifications for each pistol you are interested in, if they read the same they are.

I hope this helps.
Str8_Shot

#4 ·
Str8_Shot said:
Deadmeat

Kimber uses the same parts for all of their pistols. So as far a barrel is concerned they are all the same for each length. If there is any differences between them it will be in the material, stainless steel vs. non-stainless (aka carbon steel), otherwise they are identical. So look at the specifications for each pistol you are interested in, if they read the same they are.

I hope this helps.
Str8_Shot
In a previous thread someone pointed out that ALL Kimber barrels are carbon steel, even if the frame and/or slide are stainless. There's apparently some good reason for barrels not to be stainless - brittleness, perhaps? I do know the one place I have ever seen rust start on my Kimbers was at the muzzle (immediately cleaned off, of course!)

#5 ·
Must be a very recent change if they're not using some stainless barrels.

The 2003 Kimber site says...if you click on the individual model names...

"Gold Match pistols have the features of the Custom II models along with a match grade barrel that is carefully machined from a stainless steel forging. Air gauging ensures end-to-end consistency to .001 inch, a final assurance of accuracy. "

and

"Custom Shop models share custom features like Premium Aluminum Trigger tuned to 3.5-4 pounds, ambidextrous thumb safety, stainless steel match grade barrel with match chamber..."

I didn't know they used match chambers.

I assume they've been using stainless barrels on these models all along - but maybe not. Anyway, my '99 Stainless Gold Match has a stainless barrel. According to the '99 catalog, the Gold Match, Polymer Gold Match, Gold Combat and Super Match had stainless barrels.

John

#6 ·
JohnBT said:
Must be a very recent change if they're not using some stainless barrels.

The 2003 Kimber site says...if you click on the individual model names...

"Gold Match pistols have the features of the Custom II models along with a match grade barrel that is carefully machined from a stainless steel forging. Air gauging ensures end-to-end consistency to .001 inch, a final assurance of accuracy. "

and

"Custom Shop models share custom features like Premium Aluminum Trigger tuned to 3.5-4 pounds, ambidextrous thumb safety, stainless steel match grade barrel with match chamber..."

I didn't know they used match chambers.

I assume they've been using stainless barrels on these models all along - but maybe not. Anyway, my '99 Stainless Gold Match has a stainless barrel. According to the '99 catalog, the Gold Match, Polymer Gold Match, Gold Combat and Super Match had stainless barrels.

John
My new Gold Combat has stainless steel match grade barrel and chamber. Had an experienced shooter try it and they were hitting POA sub 1" groups at 12 yrds.

Ernon

#7 ·
Well, there ya go :D

Is there an advantage to stainless in a barrel? I have no problems with either the Pro Carry or TLE barrels, but would there be any point in looking to change them out?

#8 ·
The barrels in both of my stainless Kimbers are carbon. How do I know you ask? I checked to see if I could blue them and I could. The bushings were stainless, but the barrels were not.

The only complaint I have is that in an advertised all stainless gun, I want a stainless barrel. They shoot fine.

#9 ·
tcdrennen said:
I do know the one place I have ever seen rust start on my Kimbers was at the muzzle (immediately cleaned off, of course!)
Happened to me too, in my Pro CDP - I found the rust there after I cleaned and lubed the barrel - when I finished cleaning it was fine, after just two days of carrying, i found rust there. It made me pretty mad, I thought that on gun designed for carry there would be minimum of parts prone to rusting (the gun was cleaned and lubed immediatelly after each shooting)...

#11 ·
ObiWanJak said:
The inside of the Kimber catalog has a graph that shows which frames and barrels are made of which material.
Loren
Yes, it shows that most of Kimber barrels are carbon steel - but I can't think of why is this so even on carry models, where you do not need absolute accuracy, but you absolutely need the weapon to hold its quality even in harsh environment

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.