1911Forum banner

Giving a Ranger II in 9 some serious thought

5K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  cfrock 
#1 ·
I'm considering a Ranger II in (my 1st STI) in 9mm. Anyone comment on theirs or post pics if the have them?

#3 ·
Posting from my phone, so no pic (check the tactics thread for night stand gun, last page) but I have a Ranger 2, albeit in .45. The fit, accuracy, and overall function are excellent - the finish is showing some holster wear, but it is my daily carry so that is expected. I love the balance of the commander size bull barrel configuration, muzzle flip is very little and this pistol can be shot very fast. I say do it - just keep in mind you'll want more...

#5 · (Edited)
My Ranger II is a 45 as well. Fit and finish are fantastic! I carry it a lot.

If you have any thoughts about going lighter and smaller, this is a Lawman 3.0 and it is a 9. New model this year.

#8 ·
Ken has a good point, most of STI's business is competive shooters - edges, eagles, spartans, Trojans etc. For a carry gun, it's still pretty big and on the heavy side, so most probably go smaller for every day carry. Personally, it doesn't bother me, and the gun is very accurate even out to 25-30 yds off hand. FWIW, every ranger owner seems to really, really like their gun.

The polymer MSH doesn't bother me, but I'll probably put a dawson or STI magwell / MSH on it some day.

#10 ·
Awesome pics! I heard back from Dawson Precision yesterday and they are quoting a 4 month wait. That kinda bummed me out. I realize that's quite a reasonable wait for a handgun, but I looking to get it sooner. Guess I have to give it more thought.

#11 ·
There are plenty of STI dealers who have them in stock. I would give Thunder Mountain Rifles in AZ or The Shooters Connection a call...they both have them in stock. Thunder Mountain does a free trigger set and federal polish as well as install any STI extras for free (sights, triggers, etc...)

#13 ·
I ordered one from Brazos- nice folks to deal with. Plus, you can custom order one with the exact sites you want- Heine night sights for $70 installed is cheap.

My Ranger 9mm is a bit mag finiky.

#20 ·
Thanks-I know! I bought one of 3 they had 2 days ago! I received it today and just finished cleaning & lubing her up. Chuck was great to deal with and I would highly recommend his shop; very responsive and excellent customer service. He answered all of my questions and even called to let me know my local FFL was dragging their butt on sending their FFL transfer info so he could ship it out the same day.

Hopefully, I get a chance to get to the range tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.