1911Forum banner

URGENT - help needed with P938

17K views 37 replies 19 participants last post by  Arourasphere 
#1 · (Edited)
I posted earlier about picking up a new P938 Extreme today, tonight I dis-assembled it for a good
cleaning and lubing prior to going to the range.

I've had a P238 and this P938 came apart the same way, no problems at all.

Then..... while cleaning the inside of the frame, I noticed this piece laying on my work bench towel
under where I had the frame in my hand:

I have looked over the frame from top to bottom and can't see where this would go back in anywhere,
the owner's manual does not show this part at all in any of the dis-assembly or re-assembly instructions.

It is black metal, thin, and has the same nitron coating that the rest of the gun has.

I'm stumped and turning to y'all for help. Anyone know what this is and where it goes back into the gun?

I'll leave it apart until I find out what it is and where it goes.....

Thanks in advance !

See less See more
#4 ·
I have a 238 as well and I'm clueless on that part, I thought as I'm sure you did, same gun but differant caliber. I'm looking to get a 938 in the near future so I'll be watching this thread.

I can't even picture where it would come from in the frame. Good luck!

#33 ·
Its also puzzling that it functioned "fine" without it. Glad you got it figured out, I am getting one of these after all the kinks get wrung out. I sort of make it policy never to buy a first years production of both guns and cars. ;) look forward to a range report.

#7 ·
I also have a P238 and I wish I could help, but I have no clue. I've never seen that part, but I will be watching to see if someone knows what it is.

PuddleMonkey, if that's all that you can contribute, then please go away. Trying to pad your post count so you can sell something? Good luck.

#14 ·
I also have a P238 and I wish I could help, but I have no clue. I've never seen that part, but I will be watching to see if someone knows what it is.

PuddleMonkey, if that's all that you can contribute, then please go away. Trying to pad your post count so you can sell something? Good luck.
Looks like we contributed about the same, so feel free to take your own advice.

I don't need nor desire to sell anything here, there's a large classifieds for firearms and accessories in the NW that I use on a regular basis. I am here because I enjoy 1911's and own 7 of them. If you don't think I contribute anything to the 1911 forums, you're more than welcome to exercise your ignore option. In fact, I prefer those with the personality of a wet-nap do just that.

ps- Black Metal is a subgenre of metal music. Thanks and have a great day!

#13 ·
It's weight reduction, man. Haha. That's what we say on our hot rods.

Seriously though, I'd say if you call Sig, you can get a response. I hear great reviews of their customer service.

Great looking gun, man.

#18 ·
That looks like a disconnector
The Disconnetor rides in a dovetail groove off the left side.
Remove the grip and examine that area.
Hope that helps.
Thanks rgale.

I had both grips off and was cleaning the inside of the grip area on the frame when I noticed the piece laying on the towel under where I was working.

When I looked at the parts diagram in the back of the owner's manual, the only part on the drawing that looked anything like this was the disconnector that is shown as part number 13. In the drawing, the part they show does not have the three holes, but the shape is similar. Thinking the holes might have just been left off the drawing, I examined the inside of the frame very carefully in the area that the drawing shows that part, even with a magnifying glass and flashlight.... still could not see anything that looked like where that part could have come from.

It's my usual luck that I chose a Friday evening to clean the gun for the first time..... after hours for Sig's customer service department. I have noted the number from their web site, I'll call them on Monday. I can even e-mail them the picture of the part if they make an e-mail address available when I call.

Thanks again to you and everyone else for the replies.

Dave

#19 ·
Maybe I can get an idea this way....

If any of you who have a P938 will take your left grip off, then look at the picture below..... does the trigger bar and the area between the left thumb safety and the top left grip screw hole on your 938 look like this, or is there a part like in the second picture below visible on yours?

Thanks, I'm still trying to figure this out.

#20 ·
Ok I took mine apart this part is to compress down on the drigger bar as the slide moves acrossed it as the slide move back. On the picture of your lower reciever it shows a silhouette of where the part use to go. Taking the part from the picture you will want to flip it over so the high portion of the slope rest toward the rear of the gun. The grove above the last hole will fit inside the lower pushed up against the gun. This will make the slopped portion with the low end toward the front of the gun and the high portion to the rear. The Round portion at the bottom will rest on the trigger part so when the slide moves back it will push the part (Disconnector) down moving the trigger bar down as well in a slight springloaded fasion. You then cover the it with the handgrip cover. Sorry I can't so you but my cell phone camrea sucks and I cant find my digital camrea.

#21 · (Edited)
This might help...

... looks like the raised side faces in away from the grip.

Taking the grips off was convenient because I am putting a dab of thread locker on the grip screws. After running the first 250 rounds through it this evening, I noticed while checking out holsters at the range that the right grip upper screw was missing and the bottom one was loose.

250 rounds through it (the Extreme model) tonight (purchased earlier today) and not impressed thus far. Out of the box, it's the only Sig pistol I own or have owned (P226, SP2340, P220, SP2022, P238) that's suffered so many feed problems (all FTEs), though almost all of which were with 115gr Winchester white box (a few with Blazer 115gr, and 1 or 2 with 124 or 147gr American Eagle). I'm pretty sure the 115gr stuff isn't pushing the slide back over the hammer spur. That said, the P238 had a number of FTF issues early on, all of which were resolved by the 500th break-in round, and the P938 seems to be a bit looser, and with a smoother trigger pull, now than when I cleaned it before the range visit earlier.

How tight is the action on anyone/everyone else's P938?

...Still annoyed that someone in Exeter didn't tighten the grip screws down properly. But I like the front & rear strap checkering -- it's a big improvement over the P238.

#22 · (Edited)
Eaglerider-
Looks like these pictures shows the answer. I cannot beleive Sig can make changes for
change sake to screw up a working proven design. That new version of the disconnector
and how it attaches is mickey mouse at best. They had it right in the P-238 design which
they copied from the Colt Mustang and had to make changes now on the P-938.
This along with the external extractor will remind me not to buy one. Very happy with
my P238 HD after they fixed all those early problems.

Keep us upto date on anything further that developes on that new design.

R Gale

Thanks to Eviled and Dolihlesfs for their posting.

#23 ·
THANKS to both Dolittlesfs, evilted, and rgale !!

Wow, you guys came through and really helped me out. If we were closer in proximity, I'd sure treat each of you to an ice cold beverage of your choice, but I guess thic heartfelt thank you will have to suffice !

I'm going to take the 938 apart again in a little bit and get this little piece back where it belongs. :rofl:

#24 ·
Update.... the piece is back where it belongs. :D

rgale, I think your comments are right on the mark, the way this disconnector is placed is really odd. \

There is a slight side to side play in the trigger bar and it will move when the left grip is off. If one has the grip off for cleaning and touches the trigger bar in a manner that causes it to move outward, the disconnector will fall out all by itself. I can make it happen that way right now, and that's apparently what happened when I doing the initial cleaning on the gun.

I guess it's a good thing that I always use an old bath towel to clean on, if the piece would have hit the hard surface of my work bench and bounced, there's no telling where it would have landed.

I hope this thread serves as information to all P938 owners..... the only thing preventing the trigger bar from moving slightly sideways is the left grip up against it. When cleaning or anytime the left grip is off, be careful not to allow that slight sideways movement of the trigger bar to the outside or the disconnector will slide right out.

Thanks again everyone !!!!!

Now I'll head to the range in the next day or two and see how the P938 performs.

#28 ·
Nope, I haven't. Subjectively speaking, it was pretty stout feeling before I took it to the range, but after 250 break-in rounds it doesn't feel appreciably different than my P238 which has well over 500 rounds through it.

Incidentally, Sig customer service told me today that the loose and lost grip screws were my fault because I didn't go over the firearm thoroughly prior to using it, and that I should loctite them to prevent this from happening again. I suppose I should perform metal fatigue tests on the internal components as well in the name of being a responsible owner? :). Anyway, they were similarly unhelpful on the subject of 115gr ammo, but I'm confident that the gun will cycle the cheap stuff well enough in another 250 rounds as there's plenty of evidence that its breaking in well.

Still think they could have comped me the missing grip screw considering it obviously hadn't been torqued properly. So, the first and only time I've ever had a reason to call Sig customer service, they fail to impress.

#27 ·
That's the same trigger bar/disconnector set-up that Star used in the PD, and maybe their other compact, pseudo-1911s, too? Star thought to put the disconnector in a dovetail, and since the frame wall is very thin there anyway, the edges of the dovetail were paper-thin. My frame cracked right on the dovetail.

#35 ·
Glad I saw this thread, I picked up my Extreme today, $629.00 plus tax I am impressed with this little guy, have not shot it yet, but cant wait.
Fits several of my old holsters too.

Good luck and good shootin to ya'll

J.W.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.